Thursday, January 29, 2009

Keeping it Warm

Hi all y'all! In the midst of all the wonderful things going on in Providence I managed to finish a knitted pair of legwarmers! I know that I'm starting a business based on screenprinted textiles, but knitting is, in many ways, my true passion. As a matter of fact, I'm trying to start up a Thursday knitting night here in town. The sad part is that I haven't found a perfect, comfy, late-night coffee shop yet. More evidence that I need to start my own space that has coffee, yarn, classes, couches, and heck, maybe a yoga studio in the back? This is my idea of heaven - a business that serves the community through my two favorite pastimes and serves a great cup of coffee or tea.






















So here's the scoop on the legwarmers. I bought two skeins of a superwash merino in a DK weight while on the big family cruise to Alaska last summer. I skipped out on buying anything emblazoned with wolves or salmon in favor of buying yarn in every port. This yummy yarn has rust, yellow topaz, garnet, and sage colors that I decided to display in a really simple legwarmer knit in the round. I did some 1x1 ribbing at the top and bottom to help them stay in place. I decided to model them with my favorite high heels which are black, of course. And I'm propping my feet on my sheepskin rug which is my favorite splurge since New Years. I put it right next to my bed so that waking up on these 17 degree mornings is so much more pleasant. And it also makes a great spot to set up my meditation cushion and zen out in my bedroom.



















I made such a big production about my butterfly print, I wanted to show off one of the finished products - little zippy pouches that are for sale on etsy. Of course I have tons of pieces for large totes with the butterfly but I haven't managed to finish a single one! I started spending a great deal of time travelling to DC and NYC in the last two weeks plus I'm working on the product development side right now - I'm designing a yoga mat bag, doing research for some brand spanking new imagery, and knitting a big chunky cowl from another variegated yarn. I think it's going to be a weekend of getting my fiber on and finishing some of these works in progress!

No comments: